Friday, March 26, 2010

Jan Brady waiting for honor

The move to rename the Bayshore High gym after former head coach Jan Brady has reached its final stage, according to Bruins current head coach Warren Bell.

Bell, who initiated the move, which was approved by the Bayshore administration and faculty, says the only thing left is for the Manatee County school board to put its stamp of approval on it and he doesn’t feel that will be a problem.

Bell wants the facility to be named the Jan C Brady Gym. He coached the Bruins boys basketball program from 1977 through the 1990-1991 season.

“I feel there is not enough history to the basketball program at the school and this would help,” Bell said. “Also, the Brady family deserves this honor. Jan’s son Brac is the school career scoring leader and his other son Chris was the head coach and is now athletic director.

“I took the petition to staff members at the school and they signed and then it was approved by the school advisory committee. Now, it just has to be approved by the school board,” Bell said.

The 65 year-old Brady was on the original staff at the school. He was JV coach for three years before he took over the boys basketball program.

“It’s quite an honor. It’s overwhelming and surprising to me,” Jan Brady said. “I would really like it to be for the Brady family, but I don’t think they can do it that way. I don’t think the honor is for my record. It’s just that there has been a Brady at the school since it began and I was on the original staff.”

No comments:

Post a Comment