Thursday, March 17, 2011

Princeton coach Johnson has quite a resume

Princeton head basketball coach Sydney Johnson broke down in tears following his team’s 59-57 loss to Kentucky that was decided on a shot with two seconds left Thursday at the St. Pete Times Forum.

Noting that nobody in the country outside of his own family of players at Princeton gave his team a chance against the highly touted Wildcats, Johnson said his team belonged before breaking down into tears.

“You know Kentucky has a great tradition and they have a fantastic coach and players and fun support. Ours is no less,” Johnson said. “I hope I am not offending anybody.

We have a proud and rich tradition. And I really liked this matchup. I really thought that was a special one for the tournament.

"Princeton and Kentucky from my vantage point are two of the best programs that we’ve seen in college basketball. so I was very excited and I wanted to demand from our players that we live up to that, and I think we did.”

Johnson is no stranger to Princeton basketball. He played for Princeton and in 1997 was the Ivy League Player of The Year.

Johnson holds the Ivy League record for consecutive 3-point field goals made with 11 and the most 3-pointers made without a miss in a game (6 for 6). He also graduated Princeton as the school’s all time leader in steals with 156 which ranked 11th all time in the NCAA at the end of last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment