The University of South Florida will honor Lee Roy Selmon at Saturday's home football opener vs. Ball State. Kickoff is set for 7:00.
Game-day and season-long initiatives honoring the former USF Director of Athletics and Hall of Fame great will include:
- The football team will wear a number 63 decal on their helmets for all football games
- All 19 USF teams, including the football team, will wear the initials LRS on all uniforms in all games throughout the 2011-12 year
- The university has created a number 63 flag which the football team and spirit squads will carry onto the field for all home and away games
- The number 63 will be painted onto the field in two locations for Saturday's game
- 40,000+ number 63/Lee Roy Selmon decals will be distributed to all fans to be worn at Saturday's game
- Saturday's Official Game-Day souvenir program will feature Lee Roy on its cover and in a special insert
- Saturday's game will include a moment of silence and video tribute to Lee Roy (approximately 6:45 p.m.)
- USF, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Tampa Sports Authority have designated a space at Raymond James Stadium for a temporary memorial to Lee Roy. People wishing to leave tributes are free to place flowers, cards or remembrances on the tree-shaded mound in the middle of the mass transit drop-off turnaround on Dale Mabry.