Sunday, February 27, 2011

BC's Magley says he won't be retiring

Dave Magley says we should all put to rest the rumors that he is going to step down as the Bradenton Christian boys head basketball coach after 11 years.

There was speculation the 51-year-old Magley would end his successful rein after this season because his son Daniel Magley, was graduating. But the elder statesman says no.

“I have no intention (to retire),” Magley said after his Panthers season ended Saturday night in a 68-44 Class A Region 2 championship game loss to Orlando Christian Prep.

“I’ve had refs from the Florida Gulf Coast Association asking if I am going to say goodbye and it’s a natural thought with my son leaving and all that. But I didn’t sign up for 11 years and I love the relevancy of being a coach.

“I am 51 years old and I understand the lingo of today’s kid and I want to be 61 and still get it and I want to be 81. If my dad had any regrets he was sitting around at 82 waiting to die and I don’t want to do that. I want to be relevant. That is the great thing about coaching is that you get to be relevant and at BC you get to ministry and I feel called to do that.”

No comments:

Post a Comment